The Accreditation and Standards Committee is accountable to the Postgraduate Medical Council for the development of standards and accreditation of training positions and institutions.
The Committee assesses and endorses accreditation reviews and related matters in accordance with the PMCWA Guide to Accreditation Standards.
The Accreditation and Standards Committee meets every six to eight weeks. For further details of when the Accreditation and Standards Committee will next meet email PMCWA.Accreditation@health.wa.gov.au.
The terms of reference for the Accreditation and Standards Committee are as follows:
- To inform, advise and implement the work of PMCWA in the development of standards and the accreditation of training positions.
- Develop and implement accreditation standards and guidelines for prevocational education and training in Western Australia, in line with national, state objectives and vocational training pre-requisites. This includes ensuring that all prevocational positions offer sufficient experience, education, training, supervision, assessment and feedback.
- Accredit prevocational training positions that meet national and state standards.
- Oversee further development and implementation of the accreditation process, including the recruitment, training and management of accreditation surveyors and implementation of periodic reviews.
- Report to the PMCWA on the outcomes of the accreditation reviews.
- Assist health services in ensuring that the intern, also known as postgraduate year one medical officer (PGY1), has completed all necessary requirements for recommendation to the Medical Board of Australia (Western Australian Board) to progress general registration as a medical practitioner.
- Advise the PMCWA on issues that affect the development of standards and accreditation of prevocational training positions.
- Promote and/or undertake projects/research related to the development of standards and the accreditation of prevocational training positions.
Accreditation and Standards Committee Composition
- Chair of Accreditation and Standards Committee (Appointed by Council)
- Former Chair of Accreditation and Standards Committee, PMCWA
- Representative/s of Accreditation Surveyors
- Representative of Metropolitan Health Services
- Representative of Country Health Services
- Representative/s of Private Hospitals
- Representative of Western Australian General Practitioner Education and Training Ltd
- Representative/s of Medical Directors / Administrators
- Representative/s of Directors of Postgraduate Medical Education
- Representative/s of Directors of Clinical Training
- Representative of Medical Education Officers
- Representative/s of Junior Medical Officer Forum
- Representative of Australian Medical Association (Western Australia) Doctors In Training Committee